DIY beauty treatments to the rescue
Are you sick of spending a fortune on creams, powders and lotions month after month? Glowing skin, silky hair, and perfect makeup does come at a cost, but you do not have to empty your wallet just to have it. Everyone from celebrities to the average home maker is discovering the power of DIY beauty treatments. You can pamper and treat your body and hair with a few kitchen items, not to mention add a kick to your makeup routine with these simple beauty treatments made in your kitchen.
Get ready to glow
You do not need to use high cost products to look like you stepped out of a salon. Try these simple DIY beauty treatments and look as good as you feel instantly.
Olive oil hair treatment
Why spend a fortune at the salon for silky, shiny hair when you have olive oil? Olive oil gives the hair a healthy shine whilst reducing frizz and preventing split ends.
- Massage 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the scalp and hair; use more olive oil for thick or long hair. Make sure to massage the scalp well as that stimulates and helps hair growth.
- Wrap a warm, damp towel around the oiled hair and let sit for 45 minutes to allow the oil to work.
- Rinse oil out by shampooing hair two or three times depending on thickness of hair and how much oil you used.
- Let the hair air dry and enjoy smooth silky hair with a gorgeous sheen.
Oatmeal body scrub
Luxurious body scrubs do not have to come from a salon. A few simple ingredients are all you need to scrub your way to smooth, soft skin.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons each: honey, olive oil, and powdered milk
- 3 tablespoons finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
After you have mixed all ingredients together, massage into the skin, especially the elbows and the knees. Avoid massaging into sensitive areas.
Jump into the shower and rinse off the scrub.
Apply a body moisturiser and enjoy your soft, smooth skin.
A bronzer is the perfect way to add a glow and highlight the face. Instead of rushing out each time you run out, head to the kitchen and create the perfect colour that smells as good as it looks.
- Clean empty container (screw top ones are best)
- Cocoa powder OR cinnamon
- Powdered sugar (sift to remove all lumps)
- Small paintbrush or lipstick brush
Add the cocoa powder or cinnamon into the container and mix in powdered sugar with the small brush until you reach the desired colour. Make sure to mix well for an even colour and to eliminate any lumps or clumps.
Use a big makeup brush and apply as normal.
Option: For a firmer powder, use a clean empty compact and add a few drops of essential oils in your favourite scent. This helps to bond the powders and keep them firm in the case.
Salon treatment at kitchen prices
DIY beauty treatments are the perfect for when you run out of your favourite products or want to replace the ones you already have. A few simple everyday kitchen ingredients can make you feel like you have just been pampered by the best. So grab the olive oil and give your body and hair the treatment it deserves, right at home.