5 Most Bizarre Beauty Treatments in London
The pursuit of beauty and youth has always pushed women to try the most bizarre remedies. If Cleopatra was happy to soak herself in a nourishing milk bath, nowadays celebrities are looking for even more eccentric treatments. From venom masks to snail secretion creams the world of anti-ageing products has never been weirder.
1. Snake Venom Facial: the venom is extracted from temple snakes and used as a key ingredient to produce beauty products, which is then applied to the skin. The cream mimics the effects of a snake bite, paralysing and totally relaxing the muscles, in order to create a wrinkle free area. This treatment has the same effect of Botox and it's very famous with the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow and Madonna.
2. Ale Baths: OK the festive season is well under way, but it doesn't mean you have to neck the booze used for this treatment. The bath is meant for the body only: malt, yeast and hops contained in the ale help reducing skin toxins and make it healthy and glowing. A massage at the end of the treatment helps locking in the benefits.
3. Snail Secretion Cream: as disgusting as it sounds this new product is taking the beauty world by storm. The moisturising and repairing properties of Chilean snail secretion help the skin feeling regenerated: it reduces acne, blemishes and enhance elasticity. No snails were harmed in the making of this treatment.
4. Cosmetic Cryotherapy: the future is nigh! Cold therapy is proven to slow down the metabolism of skin cells and therefore to reduce ageing process. It is also beneficial for reducing swell and any other soft tissue injuries. The therapy consists in entering a frozen chamber (temperature between -80C and -120C) for a few seconds to rejuvenate the whole system.
5. Diamond Microdermabrasion: A diamond tip is used to remove the external layer of the skin, while the dead cells are removed with a vacuum suction. The tip performs an exfoliating action and the suction stimulates the basal layer with a massage and encourages production of collagen and new cells. The treatment improves overall texture, pigmentation and clarity, while reducing wrinkles, scars and even stretch marks. Shine on!